Saturday, June 18, 2016

road trip adventures - part 5

We hit the ground running when we got to Texas - after we got through the traffic. Oh my goodness was it awful between Dallas and Ft. Worth. The freeways here are a nightmare. I can't fathom driving around here every day. I've become spoiled by the "traffic" in Pittsboro.

When we pulled in, Harry navigated the camper into the RV shelter (like a pro!) and we immediately unloaded. Poor Bubby - we barely said hello! We were rushing because we were trying to get everyone showered (it had been a while y'all), and over to see Grandpa for dinner. We made it and got to visit with him.

Harry's dad is not doing well. After we brought him back to the facility he's staying at, Bubby told us that he has a type of dementia which was new information for us. He is eating again, has gained some weight, and is taking his medications; but, he has motor planning issues and needs a level of care that he can't get at home. Carol (Bubby) has done a lot to get him help and I admire how she's handled everything. The fact remains though that he will not be able to come home - ever.

We've been seeing him mainly in the afternoons and he's pretty wiped out by the time we see him so he's not very engaged. Harry went in the morning yesterday and he was a little more alert. For father's day, we're taking him to lunch at his favorite place, so we're hoping he'll be more alert and able to enjoy the company. My Harry has enjoyed the chance to see him and help out with practical things at the house for Carol.

We've kept ourselves busy helping Carol with things around the house and getting things set up for Harry at the facility. Other than that, we've spent a lot of time reconnecting with Harry's step-sister and her family. The kids have enjoyed getting to see their cousin and it's been good to catch up with her instead of hearing the stories second-hand from Carol. Today we're pausing to take a breath and maybe Harry and I will get a chance to go out without the kids tonight.

Looking ahead, we are thinking about taking a few days to go to San Antonio. Harry did some math and decided it'd be cheaper for us to stay in a hotel for a few days than to pay for the gas and a trailer spot to get down there. We literally have doubled our expected gas bill hauling the trailer.

Our plan to head to the southwest has been nixed. With the record heat and amount of time it would take, we decided to focus on heading east again. I'm lobbying for a spot in Tennessee, but he wants to check the elevation and see if he thinks the van can make the climb while hauling the trailer.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't missing being at home, but I am glad we are making this trip. Things haven't gone the way we always planned, but the kids (and I) have been pushed out of their comfort zone. There's plenty of summer left for them to do nothing and for me to prep for my new teaching role in the fall when we get back. I even left my copy of The Seven Laws of Teaching at home Larry!

1 comment:

shiveringchihuahua said...

So sorry to hear about your FIL. Glad he is getting excellent care, though. xoxo